GRADUATE ADMISSION PROCEDURE
FALL SEMESTER, 2013
The deadline for fall semester 2013 applications was February 1, 2013.
We are no longer accepting graduate applications at this time.
The application for admission, application fee, and all required supporting documents should be received no later than February 1, 2013.
A complete application consists of:
1) MSU Graduate Application at http://grad.msu.edu/apply/online.aspx
Our majors are:
(3871) MS Applied Statistics; (3875) MS Statistics; (3877) PhD Statistics
2) Application to the Department of Statistics and Probability, which you complete by logging into http://www.beaspartan.com/
using your applicant id and password issued when you completed the MSU Graduate Application. This site will allow you to upload supporting documents, including the required supplemental Advanced Mathematics Profile
. You may also upload a resume or personal statement if you wish but these are not required.
You are requred to upload these documents yourself into http://www.beaspartan.com.
If you send paper copies please ALSO upload to http://www.beaspartan.com.
3) Three Letters of Recommendation: These are submitted through an online system called EMBARK
. Please go to https://apply.embark.com/grad/michiganstate/lor/
and register the information for your references. The system will then automatically contact your letter writers and provide them with directions. They will also be told if you have waived the right to view the recommendation.
4) Official transcripts of all college work (undergraduate and graduate).
These are to be sent to our Department directly from the school(s) which you attended.
Our address is:
Department of Statistics and Probability
C415 Wells Hall, 619 Red Cedar Rd.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
There is no need to send more than one transcript. We will forward the original transcript to the Office of Admissions.
5) GRE – The GRE test is required. Test Scores are submitted to the Michigan State University Graduate Admissions Office by the Educational Testing Service. The Institutional Code for MSU is 1465. No department code is necessary.
6) TOEFL Scores (for International Students Only) Test Scores are submitted to the Michigan State University Graduate Admissions Office by the Educational Testing Service. The Institutional Code for MSU is 1465. No department code is necessary.
Please note that the Department of Statistics and Probability requires TOEFL and we do not accept other language tests.
The minimal TOEFL scores required for regular admission are:
Reading 19; Listening 19, Speaking 19, Writing 22. Plus 1 more point on any of these topics to make a total of 80 points.
7) Affidavit of Support (only for International Students who are not applying for an assistantship ): Your Affidavit of Support along with a certified bank statement may be uploaded into the
Applications are accepted for Fall Semester only. October 1, 2012 is the first day applications can be made for Fall, 2013. The deadline for submission of application and all required materials is February 1, 2013. Full consideration for admission and assistantships will be given to applicants who have completed all required materials no later than February 1, 2013.
You will be able to check your application status through the “Be A Spartan” portal.
Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to some of your questions. If you still need to contact us you may reach our graduate secretary, Sue Watson, at
Thank you for your interest in our graduate program.